kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Jan 25 17:44:38 UTC 2012

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Aaron Morrison wrote:

> Are you limited to using CD/DVDs?
> You can put a custom ks file on other media types or make it available
> via the network(via ftp, nfs, http, etc)

The plan is to use a minimal CD boot disk and a DVD image on hard disk.
I've tried to use just a DVD image,
but could never get it to work.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html
seems to suggest that I don't need to edit the
boot disk to use a kickstart file on hard disk,
but I would need to know how to refer to a partition.
It's my understanding that since F15 or F16,
names like sdb2 are no longer reliable.

Also, changing /etc/login.defs would seem to be a lot harder
than just figuring out where to put the kickstart file.

> On 01/25/2012 09:35 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, root at nachtmaus.us wrote:

>>> To get around the too early/to late of %pre and %post, you may want
>>> to add a custom RPM archive file to the CD, have it dump the files
>>> into the being-created system, and run a command as part of its
>>> installation procedure that causes the newly added files to be read.
>>> Then reference the new RPM archive in the packages section of your ks
>>> file.
>>
>> If that is really necessary, I might have to give up.
>> It might be easy if one knows how, but I don't.
>> I've never made an RPM before.
>> I've never used kickstart before.
>> For me, installing is something I've always
>> approached with fear and trepidation.
>> Something always goes wrong.
>> Also, that prescription seems rather a lot to
>> be inferred from just "use a kickstart file".

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily