kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Jan 26 03:15:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Tim Mooney wrote:

> In regard to: Re: kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs, Michael Hennebry said

>> By default, Fedora 16 has UID_MIN=GID_MIN=1000.
>> My Fedora 14 (EOL) has UID_MIN=GID=500.
>> These values are stored in /etc/login.defs .
>> I want to install (not uppgrade) Fedora 16 and retain the 500.

>  If you know perl or python better, the same can be coded for the post,
>  you just need to tell %post to use a different interpreter.

I'd use python.

>  Note: usermod only fixes file ownership of stuff in their home dir, if
>  these system users already own files outside of their home, you'll need
>  to find them and modify them too.

Another reason to get the job done before %post .

> - proceed with whatever other post tasks you need
>
> You're already talking about installing FC16 in a way that's not
> recommended, so modifying the accounts is no worse.

Strickly speaking, that is not true.
anaconda would happily let me keep my 500 if I were upgrading.

> You should think carefully before you proceed down this path.  It may
> not be worth the effort.

I've come to the conclusion that it is not.
It's not so much the effort as the likelihood
that I would mess it up in some horrible way.
Finding an owned-by-user-500 file occasionally is less
likely to less of a nuisance than screwing up a system user.

I think the fedora folks were just teasing
me when they said to use a kickstart file.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily