kickstart vs. /etc/login.defs

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Jan 30 17:59:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, Mattias Hellström wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Michael Hennebry
> <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
>> I've encountered two problems:
>> How to specify the kickstart file.
>> How, in the kickstart file does one affect /etc/login.defs .
>> According to fedora, a kickstart file is the right way to do what I want.
>> There is no specific command to affect /etc/login.defs .
>>>
>>> From what I have read, %post runs too late:
>>

> I solved this problem by remaking shadow-utils.src.rpm by changing the
> login.defs it provieds.

As noted earlier, I can barely use an rpm, much less edit one.
Too many hills to climb at once.

> Then create a repo and reference it in kickstart.cfg:
> repo --name=usr500 --baseurl=http://mywebserver/yum/arch/f16-i386
> --cost=1 --includepkgs=shadow-utils

You might want to consider contributing this to a repository.
It's a bit late for me, but there are others
who might not switch until F15 is EOL.

> More retails, it all took only half a day:
> Patching an rpm means installing it, editing the spec and the contents
> (or adding a patchfile) then repacking the src.rpm then rpmrebuild
> --rebuild it.
> Repo are just the files on a webserver and then run createrepo.
>
> A better solution would be to implement a kickstart %mid section where
> you can run a script on the install just before any packages are
> installed, after filesystems are created and mounted are mounted etc.

Yup.
BTW is there anything that can be done in %post that root cannot do later?

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily