Creating completely custom Package and repodata

Adam Grossman adamtg at metashadow.com
Tue Aug 5 20:54:22 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am completely new to this, so this a totally newbie question.  I have
been asked to create a very custom CentOS 6.4 release for internal use.
I have had no problems with creating a kickstart file and customizing it
from the options in "http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart",
and all my %pre scripts have worked great.  The only place i am stuck at
is creating a a completely a custom "core" group and other custom
groups.  My only attempt so far was to create a custom group by:

yum-groups-manager --merge repodata/<*.comp.xml file>  -n "customgroup"
--id=customgroup --description "Custom packages" -c yum.conf
--save=repodata/<*.comp.xml file> <package name>

(yum.conf is the repo for repo with the custom rpms) . When i added
"customgroup" to the "%packages" section, as getting errors saying that
the group can not be found.

before i run "createrepo" and try doing this all from scratch, i was
hoping to at least get a custom group working with the existing repodata.

I might have completely missed it, but i can not find any detailed
information on how the repodata and the files in there work, and how to
setup a completely custom repo on the ISO.  Does anyone know where i can
find detailed documentation explaining how this works, or point me to a
tutorial on how to do what i am looking to do?  I not only need to get
this done, but i also want to understand what it is doing and how it
works so i can more self-sufficient and do all of these cleanly and
correctly.

thank you,
atg