RHEL6.5 provisioning without DHCP (Ess, Brandon)

Spike White spikewhitetx at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 16:16:57 UTC 2014

Brandon,

With Dell DRACs, you can "attach virtual media".  I.e., either a CD image
or a disk image.  I'm guessing HP's remote access controller is similar.

Using that, the original post (Frantisek) can do the CD-based install he
wants.
I.e., have the image on his local Windows or Linux desktop, attach that
virtual
media via DRAC.

We customarily do that for 10 - 100 servers. I'm guessing a good engineer
can image 5 servers per hour -- if the ks.cfg has all answers, so the
install
is non-interactive.

There are some limitations.  Because virtual media attachment is dog-slow.
It's best to:
   1. minimize the image size as much as possible.
   2. have your desktop in a close network location to the servers you're
imaging.

For this second reason, we usually maintain "jump" servers in different
geographic
regions.  For instance, when I'm imaging a server in Brazil, I'll remote
(Windows)
or XRDP (Linux) into a Brazil jump server, image from there.

If by "large number of servers" is meant a few hundred or more, the original
poster will either need PXE or a large array of heads-down engineers.

Spike

> From: "Ess, Brandon" <Brandon.Ess at atk.com>
> To: Discussion list about Kickstart <kickstart-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:01:15 +0000
> Subject: RE: RHEL6.5 provisioning without DHCP
> Good luck. If you find a way to remotely provision a server without PXE
(PXE requires DHCP) let us know.

> If they are Dell Servers there is IDRAC. While I’ve never used the
Enterprise features, it does support bare-metal provisioning but if I
remember correctly the provisioning service is just a rebranded Cobbler
service….which requires DHCP.