kickstart install with liveimg

Gene Czarcinski gczarcinski at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 17:24:56 UTC 2014

Previously I asked about being able to run kickstart with liveinst.
Earlier today I realized that I had asked the wrong question.  The right
wquestion is how to do a kickstart install where I specify liveimg to
point to a previously built filesystem like one you get from a "live" iso.

First, some background:

 1. My disk layouts/partitioning separates my data from the system
    (software).
 2. I backup my data.
 3. If I need to reinstall a system, I install it.  Of course, this
    covers when I am current running Fedora X and am installing Fedora
    X+1.  I never install over a working system and I do not do
    upgrades.  I use kickstart to define the system parameters, the
    package selection, *and* the partition layouts.
 4. I test both the install and the restore processes to make sure they
    work.  You cannot wait until you need them to find out they do not
    work.  Using pre-tested kickstart files increases the likelyhood
    that everything works as expected.
 5. When I install a system (the software) I want to have something
    stable.  In the past this meant using the distribution dvd or
    something similar that I created using mock/pungi.
 6. With Fedora 21 I sense that there is a movement to productize Fedora
    and use live installs so I decided to revist how I did an install.

So, now my question is how do i use liveimg in a kickstart file and how
do I boot that.

Ideally, I would like to use something like
Fedora-Live-Workstation*.iso, boot it up and be able top specify ks= on
the boot cmdline where that kickstart file has something like liveimg
--url=file://run/install/live

Tried this and cannot get it to work.

I also tried a different kickstart file where I specify liveimg
--url=http://<part_to_Fedora-Live-Wordstation>.  This did not work either.

I also tried that last case with bootup of a netinstall iso.  This
worked (sort of).  It did the install and then crashed with a traceback.

Before reporting anything, I want to understand how to do it (specify
it) correctly so that it should work.

Yes, this was all done with F21 Beta-RC1 and anaconda-21.48.12-1.

Gene