help with creating USB kickstart drive RHEL 6.5

Andrew Simpson simpsonar77 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:48:04 UTC 2015

I have a complicated kickstart based install that I have been using with
DVDs.  I Would like to use USB drives, but I have a few questions that I
haven't gotten answers to yet.

1.  what's the best way to create a bootable USB key/drive?  I have been
using dd to put the ISO onto the device, but that makes the usb drive a
read only filesystem (iso9660).  I would really like it to be writable.  So
I'm assuming I will need to format the drive, put an mbr on there, etc...?

2.  what kickstart install option should I be using?  normally, I put
"cdrom" in.  Do I have to change that to the "harddrive" option?

3.  Is there a good reference for turning a dvd image into a live image?

thanks in advance, the information on these topics is all over the place
and I'm not finding exactly what I need.

Drew