help with creating USB kickstart drive RHEL 6.5 (Andrew Simpson)

Spike White spikewhitetx at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 01:15:32 UTC 2015

> From: Andrew Simpson <simpsonar77 at gmail.com>
> To: kickstart-list at redhat.com
> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:48:04 -0500
> Subject: help with creating USB kickstart drive RHEL 6.5
> I have a complicated kickstart based install that I have been using with
DVDs.  I Would like to use USB drives, but I have a few questions that I
haven't gotten answers to yet.

> 1.  what's the best way to create a bootable USB key/drive?  I have been
using dd to put the ISO onto the device, but that makes the usb drive a
read only filesystem (iso9660).  I would really like it to be writable.  So
I'm assuming I will need to format the drive, put an mbr on there, etc...?

> 2.  what kickstart install option should I be using?  normally, I put
"cdrom" in.  Do I have to change that to the "harddrive" option?

> 3.  Is there a good reference for turning a dvd image into a live image?
>
> thanks in advance, the information on these topics is all over the place
and I'm not finding exactly what I need.

> Drew

Drew, it really depends on what you want to do.  What I do is stage all my
build content on the network.  So my USB image has syslinux, vmlinuz,
initramfs and my ks.cfg.

I reference all I want to do via my ks.cfg.

If I'm doing a generic DHCP build, even my (generic) ks.cfg will be on the
network.

Because boot media size is of great concern for us, we have a minimal boot
USB media.  It's
39 MB for OL6.5.  We have a larger boot media, that will allow you to
install anything from RHEL 5.4 up to RHEL 6.5.

If this is of interest to you, drop me a note and I'll send doc with full
instructions.

Spike White
PS For RHEL7 static builds, while good in other ways -- the new anaconda
results on the squashfs.img having to be on USB. So the absolute min-sized
USB boot media is ~250 MB.
Ouch!