Install RHEL6 from tmpfs

Netravali, Ganesh gnetravali at sonusnet.com
Wed Jul 29 09:19:32 UTC 2015

Hi.

Thanks for your suggestions. That didn't go well. What exactly I am trying is.

Pre condition.
1. System is installed with rhel version(No specific version).

Target.
1. Copy the RHEL customized ISO to the system disk and start the installation from that ISO when system boots p next time.

Procedure followed.
1. Copy the ISO to RHEL preinstalled system.
2. Modified the grub.conf with below lines so that I can boot the system to start the installation.
	title RedHat Install
        	root (hd0,2)
      	  kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=UUID=9684465d-8ded-43cc-8069-de5ff713dd40  ks=hd:sda2:/ks-sa.cfg repo=/mnt/isodir stage2=hd:sda2:/images/install.img
        	initrd /boot/initrd.img
  3. created the tar out of cdrom contents and kept in / dir 3. Below are is the content of kickstart file to copy the repo to tmpfs created out of system RAM.

mount -t tmpfs -o size=1g tmpfs /mnt/isodir mkdir /mnt/isomount
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/isomount
cd /mnt/isodir
tar -xzvf /mnt/isomount/repo.tgz
umount /dev/sda2

This is somehow not picking up the ISO since anaconda look for ISO and stage 2  in sda2. Is there any way I can do the installation from tmpfs ?

Thanks
Ganesh