Kickstart - Partitioning....possible to use whole disk for LVM without creating a LVM partition

Jerry Billing jebi01 at handelsbanken.se
Mon Mar 9 20:22:02 UTC 2015

Hi

My main question was if it is possible to use a whole disk using LVM
without creating a seperate LVM partition in kickstart?  If you create a
partition on the disk you can´t easily extend the disk by increasing the
disk size in VMware. Then you have to add another disk and extend your
volume group.
If you use the whole disk by initialize the disk using "pvcreate
/dev/disk", it can easily be resized. I am not an expert on LVM so please
correct me if I am wrong :)
Is it possible to use standard LVM commands in kickstart? As I understand
you can just use part and logvol? By reading the manuls for theese
commands I cannot find a solution for this.

I use the following commands in my kickstart file, and the partitioning
script I presented in my first mail is included in the kickstart using the
%include statement below.

zerombr
clearpart --all
bootloader --location=mbr --boot-drive=sda
%include /tmp/partitioning.cfg

By the way we are running Satellite 5.7.

Regards Jerry