Partition siizes in percent (without using LVM)

Felix von Leitner felix-anaconda at fefe.de
Mon Aug 1 13:20:07 UTC 2016

>    If I understand your problem correctly, you must label the disk as "gpt"
>    which will allow you to specify larger (>2TB) filesystems. Other gotchas:
>    don't use fdisk (doesn't support gpt style partition tables) - use parted
>    instead (not sure if you need to do this in a %pre section or if the
>    default "part" parameter supports gpt in rhel6+)

Well, to be honest, I was hoping to use the declarative syntax of
Anaconda instead of writing a script.

When I inherited this project, it was a script, and it did basically
what you are suggesting, but the mke2fs on the Redhat 6.8 ISO is
defective and cannot create a filesystem larger than 16 TB.

So I needed to switch to XFS, and the mkfs.xfs is not there, not even in
the freshly created installed system, unless you also declaratively
create an XFS partition somewhere.

I was hoping that there is a newer version of anaconda that I could use
on the DVD, that would have something like the logvol --percent option,
but for the part statement.

The alternative I'm seeing right now is to create a dummy partition on
SDB declaratively, and then have a script that deletes it and makes two
new partitions from inside the chroot into the fresh system. I find this
option highly objectionable. Nobody should leave this kind of legacy
hack behind at work. :-)

Thanks,

Felix