RFC: Disk specification by classes/tags

David Lehman dlehman at redhat.com
Mon Aug 29 19:44:09 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I work on blivet, which is the storage management backend for
anaconda/kickstart. I'm working on a feature that was inspired by
discussion on this list: specification of disks by class/tag.
Eventually, I imagine this capability will be plumbed through kickstart
and anaconda.

In the interest of determining how much machinery I should build into
this, I'm soliciting use-cases for this type of filtering. Here's what
I have so far:

# do autopart, but only use local drives
ignoredisk --onlyuse=@local
autopart

# make sure /boot goes on a local drive
part /boot --ondisk=@local

# make sure a pv that backs an lvm cache lv goes on the ssd
part pv.cache.0 --fstype=lvmpv --size=4096 --grow --ondisk=@ssd

# put a data volume on a shared SAN volume
part /shared --size=100000 --grow --ondisk=@remote

What kinds of restrictions do you wish you could easily place on disk
sets in your kickstart configurations?

Thanks,
David