RFC: Disk specification by classes/tags

C. Petro petro at cpetro.us
Tue Aug 30 20:36:26 UTC 2016

> I know we can already hardcode which disk to use (--ondisk=sda)

When building a kickstart configuration for two or more types of
machines sometimes that *doesn't* work.

Last time I went through that I had Dell R620XDs (IIRC) and these
awful SuperMicro boxes that had a windows only raid controller and I
had to scriptomagically bang sdb and sdc together to get a predictable
MD0. The sda device was present, but didn't work.

What would be *really* cool is a couple of built in tags (@local,
@remote, etc.) but also a way to define NEW tags on the fly--for
example having a PRE script that creates an MD device then tags that
as @fred or one that goes looking for a drive with particular
characteristics (say for example I have a HP DL380G8 with 3 onboard
RAID controllers and want to strip my data RAID across them, I can
look for the first drive on each controller and make them a RAID 1,
then the next X drives as a PV, and the last Y drives as a second PV
etc..

> but I'd like to be able to tell kickstart to use only the 1st disk found, or at
least confine the kickstart to 1 drive.