Detecting boot drive

Hajducko, Steven Steven_Hajducko at intuit.com
Fri Jan 29 17:53:37 UTC 2016

Is there a way to consistently detect the boot-drive, across multiple hardware platforms?

We have several different hardware types - but it remains consistent that we always want the OS installed on the first drive in boot order.  We played around with --on-bios-disk, but that doesn't always work ( it fails, for instance, on Dell R820's with the PERC RAID controller ).  We've also tried specifying /dev/disk/by-id/edd-int13_dev80, which works on the Dell's, but fails on VMs.  ( And then throw HP and it's cciss into the whole mix.. ).  /dev/sda isn't always the boot disk - this happens to us with certain RAID configs like 1 logical drive and 8 JBOD's.   The JBOD's get detected as /dev/sda-h and the RAID drive ( which is the boot drive ), ends up as /dev/sdi.

Just curious if anyone else has come up with a solid way to always figure out what the boot drive is.