Kickstart: How log and view %post? Method works in CentOS 5 but not CentOS 7

Ross Smith rjsm at umich.edu
Wed Mar 2 13:07:44 UTC 2016

I missed your first email, but we do this in our installs.

The el7 anaconda uses tmux underneath, which can be exploited to display
whatever you want or even interact with a user.

The first thing we do, is change the provided rsyslog.conf to log to our
central server, which serves most of our needs.  something like the
following in a %pre script will get you most of the logs from the installer:

# wget https://your.server/rsyslog.conf -O /etc/rsyslog.conf
# systemctl restart rsyslog

This can be further used to display logs using some tmux commands. e.g:

# tmux new-window -a -n logging 'tail -F /path/to/log/file.log'

We take this a step further, and use tmux to run our %pre and %post scripts
directly.

# tmux new-window -a -n prescript 'python /tmp/pre.py'

# while [ ! -f /tmp/predone ]
# do
#	sleep 1
# done

# tmux kill-window -t prescript

This sort of setup can also be used with xloadimage to launch a
non-blocking script to paste an image to the screen while the text mode
installer is running.

I hope this helps.

Ross Smith <rjsm at umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Linux Support