`inst.ks` hides installation source on an ISO?

David Barr dafydd at dafydd.com
Sat Mar 27 21:17:17 UTC 2021

Good Morning!

Duck Duck Go searches haven't helped me, and this problem feels like it
has an obvious answer if I put the question in front of the right person.

I'm adding a kickstart reference to an ISO. When I do, Anaconda (I
think) can't find the Installation Source. If I drop the "inst.ks" the
Installation Source is autodetected. So, an unmodified entry in
isolinux/isolinux.cfg looks like this:

```
label linux
  menu label ^Install CentOS Linux 8
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img
inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=CentOS-8-3-2011-x86_64-dvd quiet
```

This will autodetect the Installation Source. If I add a kickstart
reference:

```
label linux
  menu label ^Install CentOS Linux 8
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img
inst.stag2=hd:LABEL=CentOS-8-3-2011-x86_64-dvd quiet
inst.ks=hd:LABEL=CentOS-8-3-2011-x86_64-dvd
```

No Installation Source is found, but any `repo` entries in the kickstart
file will be listed as "Additional Repositories." This is true for any
variety of inst.ks reference. ("inst.ks=hd:/dev/sdb",
"inst.ks=hd:/dev/sdb:/ks.cfg", etc.)

Am I not seeing a kickstart entry that specifies the Installation
Source? Do I have to add another `append` argument that specifies the
Installation Source? What am I missing?

Thanks!
David

Previous problems and solutions:

-
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/640232/verified-good-mkisofs-for-centos-8/640786
-
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/641277/centos-8-custom-iso-adding-ks-cdrom-ks-cfg-hangs-the-installer/641278

--

David/dafydd

PGP Public Key
<https://keys.openpgp.org/vks/v1/by-fingerprint/042BC7A61817FD78AC85DD4ACC0B3F78FDDBD9AC>

“The hardest thing in the world
<https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/11/27/always-done/> is to change the
minds of people who keep saying, ‘But we’ve always done it this way.’
These are days of fast changes and if we don’t change with them, we can
get hurt or lost.” -- Admiral Grace Hopper