[Lhcp-devel] Did any of you check out the ubuntu hwdb system?

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Mon Feb 26 10:03:47 UTC 2007

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> The Ubuntu hwdb system is asking the user what work and doesn't, and
> ship the information off to a database.  Unfortunately, the
> information collected isn't easily available.  Here is a post I sent
> to debian-devel@ i November about it:
>

> From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com>
> Subject: Automatically collect hardware information from users?
> Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:40:17 +0100
>
> I just discovered ubuntu got a tool I have been planning to make for
> Debian, the hwdb-client package making it trivial for the user to
> submit information about their hardware to a central location.  The
> source for it is available from
> <URL:ftp://ftp.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/h/hwdb-client/>, and the
> data is submitted to <URL:http://hwdb.ubuntu.com/>.
>
> Anyone know more about this?  That database would make the life of us
> discover-data maintainers a lot easier.  Should we set up our own
> database, or can we get access to and a copy of the Ubuntu database?
>
> I notice Mandriva have a similar system also called hwdb-clients, and
> it report info to <URL:http://hwdb.mandriva.com/>.  Is this a similar
> system or the same system?
>
> It should be fairly easy to port the Ubuntu client to Debian, and the
> user-visible server part is a script accepting HTTP put/post.  It seem
> to be very similar to the popularity-contest HTTP collector.  The
> interesting parts of the server on the other hand would be the parts
> making reports based on the reported hardware information.
>
> Friendly,

Hi Petter.

I've looked at the Ubuntu page, but from what i can see it's also pretty
much in it's infancy.

But it's definitely worth looking at and i'll see if i can get in
contact with the author and see what of the ideas we can integrate into
LHCP.

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111