[Libguestfs] How to get information about the guest filesystems by libguestfs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 08:40:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 04:10:06PM +0800, Zhang Qian wrote:
> Thanks Richard! It will be great that I can get an xml representation
> of the guest and mountpoints like that.
>
> Can I install virt-inspector in my RHEL5.3 box? It seems there is not
> virt-inspector rpm packages for RHEL5.3.
> Or should I build virt-inspector from source? Where can I get its source code?

There is unfortunately a missing dependency (perl-Sys-Virt) which
prevents us from building virt-inspector in EPEL.

The specific problem is that perl-Sys-Virt is going to be added to the
next release of RHEL (5.4) in a month, and for this reason we cannot
add it to EPEL (for RHEL 5.3) now.

Solution is probably to download the source RPM and build from there.
There are some parts of the spec file which build virt-inspector that
are commented out.  If you have a perl-Sys-Virt RPM then you can
uncomment those and build it.

Our latest source RPM is here:
  http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/libguestfs/1.0.65/2.el5/src/libguestfs-1.0.65-2.el5.src.rpm
  (found from http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8391)

perl-Sys-Virt is here:

  http://search.cpan.org/dist/Sys-Virt/

You should be able to build an RPM using:

  wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/D/DA/DANBERR/Sys-Virt-0.2.0.tar.gz
  rpmbuild -ta Sys-Virt-0.2.0.tar.gz

Here is a guide to setting up and using rpmbuild:

  http://genetikayos.com/code/repos/rpm-tutorial/trunk/rpm-tutorial.html

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html