[Libguestfs] Re: using gnulib from daemon/

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Aug 5 15:51:10 UTC 2009

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 12:31:15PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Prompted by your "New commands to list devices by UUID and label"
>> patch, I've adjusted it to use gnulib.
>>
>> While just compiling hash.[ch] is probably ok, in general (given the
>> strict requirements of libguestfs) using the C files of a module is
>> usually not an option, since you don't get the benefit of the module's
>> m4 tests or automake snippets.  For other modules, those pieces
>> are often required.
>>
>> To integrate gnulib into a project like this is not hard at all:
>
> Sure - if we're happy to have effectively two copies of gnulib, then I
> don't see any problem with this patch.  Since the second copy just
> uses hash, should be OK.

That works for me.

FYI, it's not really two copies of gnulib
(fortunately! it is 60MB, 18MB of which is the repo).

It's a copy only of the pieces determined by selected modules:

  - top level sources are in gnulib/:            188K
  - daemon sources are in daemon/{lib,m4,tests}: 700K

But source size is misleading, since most of the gnulib
sources in daemon/ are used only in the unit tests.