[Libguestfs] Re: Windows port of daemon?

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 10:09:59 UTC 2009

On 01/12/09 17:26, Szabolcs Szakacsits wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Matthew Booth wrote:

>>> Could you please tell more technical details? We support NTFS attributes,
>>> volume management, etc for years. Thanks.
>>
>> For me, the principal driver is to use native software management tools,
>
> Native on Linux or Windows?
>
> We don't reimplement Windows NTFS tools on Linux (actually we were some
> years ahead in some of them) but try to make NTFS features available via
> common Linux interfaces.

Native on Windows. As far as we're concerned, Windows filesystem access
from Linux is not a problem.

FWIW, we have only encountered one significant problem, which is that
ntfs-3g is case sensitive, whereas Windows (but not ntfs itself) is not.
The practical upshot of this is that if you read a path out of a
configuration file on a Windows system and then attempt to use it,
chances are it won't work because the case is wrong, which Windows
doesn't care about. This requires a fairly disgusting hack for munging
paths before use on Windows guests. If it were possible to supply a
mount option to mount case-insensitive this would be a great help.

However, it's not going to help me install a new storage driver without
reverse engineering Windows itself.

>> particular for driver installation. Native filesystem and volume management is
>> a bonus.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, who's 'we'?
>
> Linux-NTFS, NTFS-3G and Tuxera:
>   http://linux-ntfs.org
>   http://ntfs-3g.org
>   http://tuxera.com

Thanks,

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490