[Libguestfs] hivex: Copyright license(s)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Apr 2 15:51:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 04:24:37PM +0100, TJ wrote:
> I note that LICENSES and README state LGPL v2.1 but there are other
> files with other licenses, most obviously many shell script files such
> as:
>
> regedit/hivexregedit
> sh/example*
>
> Also some Makefiles:
>
> perl/Makefile.am
> sh/Makefile.am
> ...etc...
>
> find . -type f | while read filename; \
>  do if grep -iqs 'general public license' $filename; then \
>   if grep -viqs 'lesser' $filename; then \
>    echo $filename; \
>  fi; fi; done | wc -l
> 223
>
> Many of those 223 instances of 'general public license' without 'lesser'
> are from the build tools but there remain a significant number that
> appear to be project-specific.

Ignoring stuff in Gnulib which is under all sorts of licenses, the
license for hivex itself is:

* LGPL v2.1 only for all "library" bits (C library, Perl bindings etc)

* GPL v2 or at your option any later version for all programs (like
  hivexsh) and for build scripts (Makefiles, generator etc)

* Examples should be public domain, but I notice they're not, which is
  a bug.

> Is this a simple oversight or are the package contents actually subject
> to both LGPL and GPL? If so, should this be reflected in LICENSE and/or
> README?

The LICENSE and README talk in general about the library; look at the
top of each file for the specific license.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html