[Libguestfs] 'make uninstall' does not clean up ocaml binding files

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Apr 8 09:00:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:18:12AM -0400, Jinxin Zheng wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have successfully compiled the libguestfs-1.0.89 source and 'make install'ed on my Fedora 12 box. Everything went fine. I have ocaml installed so the default configuration enabled ocaml binding.
> then I found some minimal configure mistake with my compilation and wanted to compile and install again.
>
> 1.first I made uninstall and cleaned up everthing:
> $ make uninstall
> $ make clean
> $ make distclean

I never use 'make uninstall'.  It's not surprising that it fails
because we have a custom install hook for the OCaml bindings:

http://git.annexia.org/?p=libguestfs.git;a=blob;f=ocaml/Makefile.am;h=38238f6933e85118c2e1cbb14e066926e6bab430;hb=HEAD#l122

So we'd need the equivalent uninstall hook to remove them too.

I also hardly ever use 'make install', because you should be able to
run everything libguestfs related from the build directory.  There are
'run-local' scripts everywhere so you can do (for example):

./tools/run-locally resize [normal virt-resize options here ...]

or for guestfish just do:

./fish/guestfish --help

Anyway if you want to fix the 'make uninstall' rule then patches are
accepted, but it's not high on my list of stuff to fix at the moment.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/