[Libguestfs] Plans for changing libguestfs appliance building

Jinxin Zheng jzheng at redhat.com
Tue Aug 17 02:13:59 UTC 2010

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 07:21:12PM +0800, Jin Xin Zheng wrote:
>
>> In fact when I saw this the first thing came up to my head was that our
>> modified source for doing gcov -- we could collect the .gcda files in
>> the build directory after libguestfs was invoked. But the guestfsd which
>> runs inside the appliance produces the .gcda files in the temp ramfs.
>>
> I guess it writes it into / (ie. guestfsd's current directory which is
> pretty much always root)?

Yes you are right. gcov does not care about the $pwd, it just outputs
.gcda files under the directory where I built the source, e.g.
/home/build/rpmbuild/BUILD/libguestfs-1.2.7/daemon

In order to download these files correctly, we have to use the debug
command to access the root filesystem, although building the source in a
directory under /sysroot may make things easier.

>> We have made a pretty lot of effort in order to tar-out these files
>> before the subprocess was killed.
>>
> We have/had the same problem capturing core files too ...

Regards.
Jinxin