[Libguestfs] Plans for changing libguestfs appliance building

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Aug 15 21:43:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 09:29:29AM +0800, Kirby Zhou wrote:
> Can the applicance support virtio-net and start a ssh server?

This is actually a really important point which I'd overlooked.  If we
disable network support completely then the appliance will have no
network, which will negatively impact things like virt-v2v and anyone
trying to run any network-aware commands.

On the other hand, it's desirable to disable network support for most
operations because of the speed up that is possible.  Also it's
possible that qemu will be configured with no user-networking (slirp)
at all.

We'll need to have some sort of flag to enable/disable/detect this,
and treat network support as a separable feature.  At the moment I
don't know exactly how this will work.

> And if it support xen-hvm mode, it is much more useful.

I don't understand this bit.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top