[Libguestfs] Whether libguestfs work only with 32bit processors

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 14:11:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 07:20:09PM +0530, Rajiv Rajaian wrote:
> And I have tried to resize the KVM guest image with virt-resize command. But
> I'm getting the error as  "virt-resize: sorry this program does not work on
> a 32 bit host" since Im su
> Whether libguest doesnt have any support fo 32 bit processors?? Or can u
> please suggest me any other versions of libguestfs that would support 32 bit
> processor.

The problem isn't with libguestfs -- libguestfs works just fine with
32 and 64 bit processors.  The problem is virt-resize: It does some
calculations using long integers, and these aren't possible in 32 bit
Perl (or more precisely, 32 bit Perl will convert these calculations
to double, which means they won't be accurate).

You can try removing the 32 bit test from /usr/bin/virt-resize.  It
should run, but the results of the resize aren't guaranteed to work.

The only other issue I'm aware of with libguestfs and 32 bit
processors is that not many 32 bit processors had support for hardware
virt, so it'll be a bit slow (but should still work).

One of these days I'll rewrite virt-resize in OCaml ...

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html