[Libguestfs] ArchLinux port

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 08:30:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 12:08:23AM -0700, Thomas S Hatch wrote:
> I have febootstrap ported to and working on Arch, but there are a few
> packages missing from the main Arch repos, and the packages need to be in
> the main repos for the febootstrap sequence to work.
> So I have a few quick questions, first,
> how well does the supermin app work, without augeas,
> are zfs, gfs and hfs used only for mounting those filesystems inside the vm
> image,

It's possible to use libguestfs without various features compiled in.
These features can be detected at runtime by programs using the API:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#availability

The lack of filesystem support just means that programs will encounter
an error when they try to mount or create those filesystems.  For the
ones you mentioned it's not really important.

Augeas (lack of) is going to be a problem: currently the inspection
API will fail if Augeas is not available in the appliance.  This is
basically a bug in the inspection API:

http://git.annexia.org/?p=libguestfs.git;a=blob;f=src/inspect.c;h=8b21026830d9a6711cca6220369a040b52da23a5;hb=HEAD#l2181

but instead of fixing this I think it's better to package Augeas since
it's a tremendously useful tool for distros to include.

> and I noticed that there is an option to load a mirror for fedora to use
> when building, can that option be used to pass data into the package manager
> handler?

I believe this option should be gone with the latest building code.
Maybe I missed something?

We use the ./configure --with-febootstrap-yum-config option when
building on Fedora builders, where there is no network access.  The
way it works is convoluted, but I suggest starting here:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=libguestfs.git;a=blob;f=libguestfs.spec;h=33f588678054f2e3408042db2f6f9a4512e80004;hb=HEAD#l429

> In which case I can solve everything by adding a secondary binary
> repository location to the package build.
>
> But beside these problems, the pacman package handler is working!

Excellent, look forward to the patches :-)

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top