[Libguestfs] Followup: libguestfs on Ubuntu

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Thu Feb 18 17:22:07 UTC 2010

Hi Richard,
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:39:46AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> [1/6] This adds the 5 patches which I posted upstream some time ago
> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2009-December/thread.html#00039).
> They are rebased to libguestfs 1.0.84, but otherwise unchanged.  I use
> quilt here to manage the patches, but actually quilt is a bit of a
> pain because it doesn't cooperate well with git.  I wonder if it is
> better to store these as git commits?  In any case, they need to be
> reworked and go upstream at some point.
I usually store these as git commits and "serialize" them before
building the package into quilt patches:

    https://honk.sigxcpu.org/piki/development/debian_packages_in_git/#index1h1

might help here. I won't object to storing them as git commits though.

> [2/6] Change the mirror and repo for Ubuntu.
Applied.

> [3/6] Add a changelog entry.  (Not sure if this is necessary or the
> 'proper' way to do this).
I dropped this one. We usually generate the changelog just before
release since it makes merging otherwise unnecessarily hard. You can
e.g.

git-dch -N 1.0.64-1 -a

to autogenerate the changelog (I'm currently hacking on making git-dch
figure out the upstream version all by itself).

> [4/6] 'make check' fails.  In libguestfs >= 1.0.85 we will have a
> 'make quickcheck' rule, but in the meantime just run
> libguestfs-test-tool as a quick test that the package is mostly
> working.
Applied.

> [5/6] For some reason I don't understand, Ubuntu's Python
> site-packages are stored in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages, even
> though Python _2.6_ is installed.  This breaks the configure script,
> so we have to patch configure.ac _and_ configure.  It's just a single
> line change to configure.ac, but the (generated) configure change is
> much larger.
Applied.

> [6/6] This patch contains two separate, mostly unrelated changes:
> (a) Ubuntu doesn't have libsys-virt-perl.  Drop it as a dependency.
> (b) Also install virt-inspector, virt-df and virt-cat (might be
> applicable to the Debian branch too?)
Yes, I'll cherry pick this one for Debian.

http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-libvirt/libguestfs.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ubuntu

Thanks a lot!
 -- Guido