[Libguestfs] how do i use a blob appliance the compiling from source

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jan 27 00:06:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:59:34PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> /tmp/initrd will be the appliance (quite a large file:
> usually around 100 MB).

I should add that because of the way we do supermin appliances [Note
1] this initrd file is quite large.  You can actually compress this
file with gzip (or even bzip2??), but when you copy it into the build
it must always be called: 'appliance/initramfs.fedora-12.x86_64.img'
(no .gz extension).

Rich.

[1] http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/supermin-appliance-now-in-febootstrap/
We don't compress the initrd because it's an intermediate file that
normally just gets passed straight to qemu.  It's too slow to compress
it temporarily and decompress it during the boot.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html