[Libguestfs] uninstall vmware tools on v2v to kvm?

Amos Benari abenari at redhat.com
Wed Jun 2 21:14:32 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have tested the windows v2v from esx to kvm with vmware-tools installed
on the guest.

There is an issue, a message on first login after boot that tell the user
that one or more

services failed to start. In the system event log there are 3 errors. Two
of them are tool

services and one is the parallel port driver service.

Disabling the services (setting start mode 4 in the registry) solved the
issue.

Running the tools uninstaller failed with a message saying it will not
uninstall if it's not

running on VMware hypervisor.

Looking at the guest registry I have found 8 VMware services, I think that
uninstalling the tools

entirely might be too intrusive, If someone is really bothered by some
extra files on the file

system they can uninstall on the original esx.

I think we should, disable all the tools services on the v2v scripts using
the windows converter

and hivex.

If this sounds like the correct solution I'll try to write it.

Amos