[Libguestfs] Migrating file based Xen RHEL5.4 to KVM

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Tue May 18 08:10:13 UTC 2010

On 17/05/10 19:13, Martin Jeppesen wrote:
>> You meant to change xorg.conf here, not modprobe
>
> Thanks.
>
>>> modprobe virtio_blk
>>> modprobe virtio_net
>>
>> You don't want to be putting any of these things in /etc/rc.local.
>
> So these are loaded as default in the RHEL5.4 kernel?
>
>> You'll also need to rebuild initrd.
>
> Doesn't "yum install kernel" do that for me?

You'll need to rebuild it with your virtio devices in there explicitly.
It won't pick this up by default. You'll also want to add them to
modprobe.conf. Putting them in rc.local won't work at all, because this
can only be loaded after the root device can be read. If your root
device is on virtio_blk, and your initrd hasn't already loaded it, it
will have kernel panicked long before this.

>> virt-v2v will do everything required to migrate a RHEL 5.4 Xen guest to KVM.
>
> Yes, but file based guests are not supported, and I have a few of those =)

Do you mean you just have the disk images and no metadata? How do you
launch them normally? If it's from Xen in RHEL 5, we support that.
You'll have to install libvirt first, which will pick up your existing
Xen guests automatically.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490