[Libguestfs] febootstrap failure

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat May 15 19:25:16 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:15:12AM -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:  [Sat May 15 2010, 02:15:17AM EDT]
> > Don't run febootstrap as root.
>
> I'm a little confused about that. I understand the concept of
> fakeroot and fakechroot but I must be missing a piece of the
> puzzle. I want to build up a Fedora install that I will
> eventually boot into. At that point root should own the files.
> How does this work if I run febootstrap as a normal user?

When you run febootstrap-to-initramfs (also as non-root) it
will get the right permissions.  However ...

> > You don't say what version of febootstrap you are using or what host
> > you're using it from.
>
> I'm running on Ubuntu Lucid with the following versions:
>
>     febootstrap  2.1-4
>     fakechroot   2.9-1.1
>     fakeroot     1.14.4-1ubuntu1
>     yum          3.2.25-1ubuntu2
>
> Should I try again from git?

That version of febootstrap is fairly ancient.  If you'd like to take
ownership of the Debian package, then please be my guest.  In any case
you need to retest this with a newer version, ideally the latest
version (2.7, released yesterday) or the version from git.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/