[Libguestfs] febootstrap failure

Aron Griffis agriffis at n01se.net
Sat May 15 21:42:48 UTC 2010

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:  [Sat May 15 2010, 03:25:16PM EDT]
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:15:12AM -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
> > Richard W.M. Jones wrote:  [Sat May 15 2010, 02:15:17AM EDT]
> > > Don't run febootstrap as root.
> >
> > I'm a little confused about that. I understand the concept of
> > fakeroot and fakechroot but I must be missing a piece of the
> > puzzle. I want to build up a Fedora install that I will
> > eventually boot into. At that point root should own the files.
> > How does this work if I run febootstrap as a normal user?
>
> When you run febootstrap-to-initramfs (also as non-root) it
> will get the right permissions.  However ...

Is this an assumption of febootstrap, and a difference from
debootstrap, that the eventual output will be an initramfs? I was
just looking to install a chroot for the moment.

> > > You don't say what version of febootstrap you are using or
> > > what host you're using it from.
> >
> > I'm running on Ubuntu Lucid with the following versions:
> >
> >     febootstrap  2.1-4
> >     fakechroot   2.9-1.1
> >     fakeroot     1.14.4-1ubuntu1
> >     yum          3.2.25-1ubuntu2
> >
> > Should I try again from git?
>
> That version of febootstrap is fairly ancient.  If you'd like to take
> ownership of the Debian package, then please be my guest.

Thanks, but unfortunately I can't take that on right now.

> In any case you need to retest this with a newer version,
> ideally the latest version (2.7, released yesterday) or the
> version from git.

Unforunately 2.7 fails the same way. I've tried "fedora-13",
"rawhide" and "fedora-12" and they all fail in the same manner.
At first I imagined it was specific to f13 but I see now that
it's more likely an issue in the host environment.

Unless you particularly want me to keep trying things, I'll just
switch over to installing a VM.

Thanks,
Aron