[Libguestfs] VMware and multiple vmdk files

Thierry Thelliez thierry.thelliez.tech at gmail.com
Mon May 31 23:15:24 UTC 2010

With VMWare (server), you can pre-allocate your image in several vmdk
files. But I have not bee able to mount that in guestfs.

On file (e.g. guest.vmdk) is a text file pointing to all the other
files (e.g. guest-f001.vmdk, guest-f002.vmdk,...).

I tried the following scenarios without success:

1- just adding the base vmdk: add_drive guest.vmdk
2- adding all the files:
add_drive guest-f001.vmdk
add_drive guest-f002.vmdk

It works if I merge all the files with vmware-vdiskmanager
(something like: vmware-vdiskmanager -r guest.vmdk -t 0 guest-new.vmdk)

Can I use guestfs without merging all the files in one image?

Thanks,
Thierry