[Libguestfs] Hivex licensing question

Yandell, Henri hyandell at amazon.com
Fri Nov 26 19:01:53 UTC 2010

On 11/26/10 10:48 AM, "Jim Meyering" <jim at meyering.net> wrote:

> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

>> The Makefiles are GPL, but they don't affect the library or the
>> programs in any way.  They constitute a separate program used to build
>> the software.
>>
>> Rich.
>>
>> CC'd to Jim: This analysis is a pain, and gnulib-tool doesn't let you
>> say "I want to use LGPL for this directory and GPL for this other
>> directory".
>
> Yes, that is inconvenient.
> The alternative is to have two separate gnulib-style libraries,
> one with the lgplv2+ modules you use, and another for those
> additional ones that you use from gplv3 applications.
> But that is a lot of inconvenience for not much gain.
>
> This has been lamented and discussed/justified several times
> on the bug-gnulib mailing list.

Taking that as a hint not to go charging off onto bug-gnulib@, and looking
at the bug-gnulib archive, Bruno Haible says in
http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-gnulib@gnu.org/msg20323.html:

"The header is updated automatically when you import the file into your
project, assuming you invoke gnulib-tool with the option --lgpl or
--lgpl=2."

Is this a solution Hivex can use?

Hen