[Libguestfs] Python Hivex Assertion Failed

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 5 13:57:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 08:18:19AM -0400, Elizabeth Schweinsberg wrote:
> I've finally been able to post a hive that is not working on the internet:
>
> http://bethlogic.net/NTUSER.004.DAT

There's nothing unusual about this registry file.  Hivex is able to
decode the whole thing and finds no errors.  My small Python test
program also can handle it perfectly.

> And then this script has the failed assertion (same as in the email):
>
> http://bethlogic.net/test-hivex.py

This gives a 500 internal server error.

> I'm trying checking out the code via git just to see if that produces
> other results.  I'll try setting HAVE_PYCAPSULE_NEW, too.
>
> I think this just might be something weird with the set up of my
> system that the assert fails.  I did some "printf debugging" with
> hivex-py.c and right before the "assert(obj);" line, obj is not 0,
> which means it should pass, right?

If obj != 0 and yet assert(obj) is throwing an assertion failure, then
there's something seriously wrong.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/