[Libguestfs] Guestfish errors (Running in VirtualBox)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 15:41:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 04:38:56AM -0700, Chris Willmore wrote:
> I am trying to run guestfish inside an Ubuntu instance running in
> VirtualBox. I'm running into problems, and my first question, is
> this setup even possible?

Yes.  It will work fine, although it'll be a bit slower because it
will use only software virtualization instead of hardware-accelerated
virt.

> I compiled and installed libguestfs-1.8.4.
>
> Running libguestfs-test-tool fails with the following output.
>
> Would appreciate any advice,

[...]
> febootstrap: ext2 mini initrd starting up
> febootstrap: mounting /sys
> febootstrap: insmod crc-ccitt.ko
> insmod: execl: Exec format error
> insmod: wait: File exists

I guess you're using the 'insmod.static' binary that we supply, which
was copied from an x86-64 Fedora instance.  It looks like this is a 32
bit host.  So that's not gonna work.

The real solution to this is for Ubuntu to compile insmod.static in
Ubuntu's module-init-tools package.

In the meantime, here is a 32 bit binary copied from Fedora 15:

http://oirase.annexia.org/tmp/insmod.static