[Libguestfs] running libguestfs as a service?

T Johnson tjohnson46 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 05:12:02 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 09:00:04AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 01:38:19AM -0400, T Johnson wrote:
>> > g.sync()
>> > g.umount_all()
>> > g.close()
>
> I've just noticed you're calling g.close() there, so include that call
> in the bit between the print statements as well.
>
> Also since the code for the Python bindings has changed quite a bit
> recently, it would be useful to know which version you are running.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for responding. I'm by no means a python expert so I could very
well be doing something wrong, but I've been playing a bit with what
you've suggested and noted a few interesting things.

1) As soon as I create 'g', something seems to take over stderr and
stdout so I can no longer print debugging output like you suggested.

2) (I assume) because of #1, g.set_verbose(1) results in no output to
stdout/stderr either, so it hasn't been helpful so far.

3) However, I then decided to try g.set_trace(1) and that does provide
output. In the example I provided before I get this (editing config
settings in /etc/sysconfig/network):

libguestfs: trace: add_drive "/mnt/images/test_server.img"
libguestfs: trace: add_drive = 0
libguestfs: trace: launch
libguestfs: trace: launch = 0
libguestfs: trace: mount "/dev/vda1" "/"
libguestfs: trace: mount = 0
libguestfs: trace: write "/etc/sysconfig/network"
"NETWORKING=yes\x0aNETWORKING_IPV6=yes\x0aHOSTNAME=test9\x0aGATEWAY=10.0.0.1\x0a"
libguestfs: trace: write = 0

I can't seem to get any other ouput.. but it is very interesting that
once I kill the process I see the remainder of the calls failing from
trace output:

libguestfs: trace: umount_all
libguestfs: trace: umount_all = -1 (error)
libguestfs: trace: sync
libguestfs: trace: sync = -1 (error)
libguestfs: trace: umount_all
libguestfs: trace: umount_all = -1 (error)
libguestfs: trace: sync
libguestfs: trace: sync = -1 (error)

So, I guess that is what's failing.. but I haven't been able to
determine why yet.

This is something I've been running into on much older versions of
libguestfs all the way up to now which I'm trying your recent
"1.7.17-17.el6" RPMs for rhel6.

Thanks,
TJ