[Libguestfs] FYI: Large build change -- removed separate daemon/configure.ac

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 12:06:02 UTC 2011

http://git.annexia.org/?p=libguestfs.git;a=commitdiff;h=60d5a50f4d3d9e2c2f5a7d42a6859de709bda3f6

Originally I had the daemon directory use a separate configure script,
because we thought we would recompile the daemon for multiple
different architectures, so that we could have libguestfs able to run
commands in guests which have a different architecture from the host.

Well, that didn't really work out.  It turns out that running commands
in the guest isn't such a great idea after all[1].  And Linux guests
for architectures other than the host are rare too (excepting 32-on-64
which Just Works).  The most likely cross-architecture case is
Windows-on-Linux, and the separate configure script wasn't very
helpful for that.

Having a separate configure script in daemon did, however, result in a
lot of unnecessary build complexity. Things like having to have two
differently configured copies of gnulib, and having to run many
configure tests twice over.

Therefore I have submitted a patch to remove the daemon configure
script and the second instance of gnulib.

Builds are a bit faster and less complex now.

It works for me in some limited testing, but it's probably broken in
some way, so treat it with caution.  You'll probably need to do:

  make distclean
  git pull
  autoconf
  ./bootstrap