[Libguestfs] libguestfs-test-tool on ubuntu: kernel panic

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 14:56:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 09:41:47AM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
> It's a Lucid Lynx derivative,  and we don't have that package.  Maybe I can
> shoehorn it in.

The one I'm routinely building on is 11.04.

[...]
> > The problem is that both /bin/bash and libc are completely missing
> > from the appliance.
> >

> i see.
>

> > During the build, was febootstrap able to download all the packages it
> > needed?
> >

> Looks like it (I see a bunch of package downloads, none of them failed).
> However, I re-ran this, and I see this (the list is some ~thousands of
> files, I guess the entire unpacked root filesystem?)
>
> febootstrap: warning: some host files are unreadable by non-root
> febootstrap: warning: get your distro to fix these files:
>         /bin/bash
>         /bin/cat

OK, why is /bin/bash unreadable by non-root?  Is the real /bin/bash
unreadable?

> I am going to try to reproduce this step with strace to see what the
> underlying problem is.  Well, that wasn't very useful- I don't see any calls
> to /bin/bash in the host file system that are failing.

What febootstrap does is it downloads the bash package (ie. .deb file),
unpacks it, and then looks at the permissions of the files in it.
See:

http://git.annexia.org/?p=febootstrap.git;a=blob;f=febootstrap_debian.ml;hb=HEAD

So it never looks at /bin/bash on the filesystem.

Having said that, why would /bin/bash be unreadable in the package?
I've no idea, it could have been a bug in Lucid that was fixed later.
Or it could be some bug in febootstrap that only affects this older
version of Ubuntu, but not 11.04.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v