[Libguestfs] appliance VM won't start, can't find /init, but /init is in the image.

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Aug 15 22:33:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 03:21:25PM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
> OK, I have a new 2.6.38 kernel with virtio_blk.ko.  This solves the failure
> to find ext2 root device.
>
> Still not having any luck running the test-tool to completion.  There is no
> /sys in the guest root image. There is also no /etc/fstab (is that
> expected?)  There is no ethernet interface even though it looks like it can
> load virtio_net.

In my appliance, there is /sys, /etc/fstab (present but empty) and
eth0.

> Starting /init script ...
> warning: can't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
> mount: mount point /sys does not exist

Next step would be to add some debugging to appliance/init to show
what commands are being executed, and what's in the filesystem.

Also if you do:

  $ ./run rescue/virt-rescue -a /dev/null

then it may manage to get to a shell, in which case you can poke
around in the appliance by hand.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/