[Libguestfs] appliance VM won't start, can't find /init, but /init is in the image.

David Konerding dek at konerding.com
Tue Aug 16 03:49:01 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:49 PM, David Konerding <dek at konerding.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 03:21:25PM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
>> > OK, I have a new 2.6.38 kernel with virtio_blk.ko.  This solves the
>> failure
>> > to find ext2 root device.
>> >
>> > Still not having any luck running the test-tool to completion.  There is
>> no
>> > /sys in the guest root image. There is also no /etc/fstab (is that
>> > expected?)  There is no ethernet interface even though it looks like it
>> can
>> > load virtio_net.
>>
>> In my appliance, there is /sys, /etc/fstab (present but empty) and
>> eth0.

OK.  I fixed the /sys problem: no /sys directory exists in the base image,
so mounting fails.  I edited inittab, and added mkdir /sys , this seems to
help.
Isn't this normally created by febootstrap?

I have no fstab, but this doesn't really cause any problems AFAICT.

The next one is eth0.  The KVM invocation in test-tools is this; I see no
-net option to setup a network interface.

libguestfs: [12474ms] /home/dek/sw/qemu-kvm-0.14.1/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 \
    -drive
file=/tmp/libguestfs-test-tool-sda-KUZzVU,cache=off,format=raw,if=virtio \
    -nodefconfig \
    -enable-kvm \
    -nodefaults \
    -nographic \
    -m 500 \
    -no-reboot \
    -no-hpet \
    -device virtio-serial \
    -serial stdio \
    -chardev socket,path=/tmp/libguestfsgIrcIo/guestfsd.sock,id=channel0 \
    -device virtserialport,chardev=channel0,name=org.libguestfs.channel.0 \
    -kernel /var/tmp/.guestfs-88619/kernel.28112 \
    -initrd /var/tmp/.guestfs-88619/initrd.28112 \
    -append 'panic=1 console=ttyS0 udevtimeout=300 noapic acpi=off
printk.time=1 cgroup_disable=memory selinux=0 guestfs_verbose=1 TERM=rxvt '
\
    -drive
file=/var/tmp/.guestfs-88619/root.28112,snapshot=on,if=virtio,cache=unsafe