[Libguestfs] appliance VM won't start, can't find /init, but /init is in the image.

David Konerding dek at konerding.com
Tue Aug 16 13:54:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 08:49:01PM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
> [..]
>
> I forgot to add last night that your problem sounds like missing udev.
> If you get a process listing (ps ax) is udevd running?  On Ubuntu
> 11.04 in virt-rescue I get:
>
>   43 ?        S<s    0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
>  367 ?        S<     0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
>  368 ?        S<     0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon

udevd is definitely there (I see 1 instance, not three).  udevd complains
about /dev/null being missing, and /dev is pretty empty (there is only a
kmsg file there).

The other big problem I see right now is that virtio-serial isn't working
properly (which is the ultimate message I see).  I'm trying to debug that a
bit by manually starting a simple KVM with the virtio-console flags and
seeing if that works.

Dave