[Libguestfs] Plans for libguestfs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 11:38:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 01:04:40AM +0200, Hilko Bengen wrote:
> Before shifting my attention to the 1.12 release, I'd like to make sure
> that things work as expected. Please test the packages. I haven't had
> any opportunity to test anything so far because during this last week I
> lacked access to a KVM-capable machine.

On this point, testing shouldn't need a KVM-capable machine (although
for sure it's slower without!)

For Fedora we run the complete test suite ("make check") at build
time.  This takes about an hour.  It runs in the context of our
builders which don't have KVM [because the builders are Xen guests].

Another set of tests that I run myself after the build is to just make
sure the package functions on my laptop.  I do some combination of:

  libguestfs-test-tool
  guestfish -N fs -m /dev/sda1  # and type some interactive commands

This second set of informal testing doesn't need KVM either.
Eventually we plan to use our Autotest-based infrastructure to
formalize the second set of tests.  So post-build, the package will be
grabbed by Fedora AutoQA, installed, and these rudimentary tests run.

For RHEL we have a huge, manually-driven set of tests run by our QA
team.  It takes them 12 hours to run the whole thing.  These tests
aren't open source.  Red Hat open sourced the libvirt QA tests
recently, and I guess we might do the libguestfs tests at some point
in the future.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top