[Libguestfs] appliance VM won't start, can't find /init, but /init is in the image.

David Konerding dek at konerding.com
Fri Aug 12 17:19:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:52 AM, David Konerding <dek at konerding.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 09:34:38AM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
>> > Gotcha.  I can confirm that
>> > $ apt-cache depends --recurse -i bash libc6 | grep -v '^[<[:space:]]' |
>> grep
>> > libc
>> > is empty, while
>> >
>> > $ apt-cache depends --recurse -i libc6 | grep -v '^[<[:space:]]' | grep
>> libc
>> > lists libc6.
>> >
>> > Just to explore a bit more:
>> > $ apt-cache depends --recurse -i bash libc6
>> > bash
>> >   Depends: base-files
>> >   Depends: debianutils
>> >   PreDepends: dash
>> >   PreDepends: libc6
>> >   PreDepends: libncurses5
>> >
>> > I'm going to check with our local distribution developers and see what's
>> > going on.
>>
>> Simplest workaround is to add any packages that are missing directly to:
>>
>>  appliance/packagelist.in
>>
>> then rebuild the appliance (make -C appliance clean all).

Are you sure this should work?  I see that libc6 makes it into packagelist,
and the febootstrap invocation includes libc6, but it never downloads libc6.

I did a few verification steps:
1) aptitude download libc6 works
2) extracting the deb works

so it seems like there is some step between listing a package in
packagelist, and febootstrap actually invoking the aptitutde download
command for the package.  I've skimmed the febootstrap code, it doesn't seem
like it would actively filter anything not in the exclude list (which I
verified doesn't list libc6).