[Libguestfs] appliance VM won't start, can't find /init, but /init is in the image.

David Konerding dek at konerding.com
Fri Aug 12 20:23:33 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 01:03:06PM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
>
> >   read_urandom: /dev/urandom: open failed: No such file or directory
>
> Perhaps udev is missing?

Nope, looks like udev is there.

> libacl missing.

Sorry, cut and paste of older file.  Fixed.

> > object file: No such file or directory
> > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> > proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
> > /dev/root / ext2 rw,noatime,errors=continue 0 0
> > /proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
> >   Failed to find sysfs mount point
> >   read_urandom: /dev/urandom: open failed: No such file or directory
> >   Failed to find sysfs mount point
> >   read_urandom: /dev/urandom: open failed: No such file or directory
> >   Failed to find sysfs mount point
> >   read_urandom: /dev/urandom: open failed: No such file or directory
>
> Does it get any further than this?

Yeah.  It gets as far as this (which surprised me since I grabbed a recent
qemu-kvm that should have virtio-serial support)

Fri Aug 12 20:20:57 UTC 2011
uptime: 0.52 0.19
verbose daemon enabled
linux commmand line: panic=1 console=ttyS0 udevtimeout=300 noapic acpi=off
printk.time=1 cgroup_disable=memory selinux=0 guestfs_verbose=1 TERM=rxvt

Failed to connect to virtio-serial channel.

This is a fatal error and the appliance will now exit.

Usually this error is caused by either QEMU or the appliance
kernel not supporting the vmchannel method that the
libguestfs library chose to use.  Please run
'libguestfs-test-tool' and provide the complete, unedited
output to the libguestfs developers, either in a bug report
or on the libguestfs redhat com mailing list.

Rich.