[Libguestfs] appliance VM won't start, can't find /init, but /init is in the image.

David Konerding dek at konerding.com
Mon Aug 15 22:21:25 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 3:34 PM, David Konerding <dek at konerding.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 03:13:30PM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
>> > febootstrap: internal insmod virtio_ring.ko
>> > febootstrap: internal insmod virtio.ko
>> > febootstrap: internal insmod virtio-rng.ko
>> > febootstrap: internal insmod virtio_console.ko
>> > febootstrap: internal insmod virtio_balloon.ko
>> > febootstrap: no ext2 root device found
>> > Please include FULL verbose output in your bug report.
>>
>> Sorry, disregard the previous answer.
>>
>> The real reason is that you don't have a virtio block driver
>> (virtio_blk.ko).  This needs to be built as a module in your kernel.
>>
>> Is this a standard Ubuntu kernel?

OK, I have a new 2.6.38 kernel with virtio_blk.ko.  This solves the failure
to find ext2 root device.

Still not having any luck running the test-tool to completion.  There is no
/sys in the guest root image. There is also no /etc/fstab (is that
expected?)  There is no ethernet interface even though it looks like it can
load virtio_net.

febootstrap: internal insmod virtio_balloon.ko
febootstrap: picked /sys/block/vdb/dev as root device
febootstrap: creating /dev/root as block special 251:16
febootstrap: mounting new root on /root
febootstrap: chroot
/proc/uptime: No such file or directory
Starting /init script ...
warning: can't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
mount: mount point /sys does not exist
cannot open /dev/null
[    1.518238] udevd (45): /proc/45/oom_adj is deprecated, please use
/proc/45/oom_score_adj instead.
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access
method.
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCADDRT: No such process
  Failed to find sysfs mount point
  read_urandom: /dev/urandom: open failed: No such file or directory
  Failed to find sysfs mount point
  read_urandom: /dev/urandom: open failed: No such file or directory
/init: line 73: /sys/block/vd*/queue/rotational: No such file or directory
/dev:
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 30 Aug 15 22:12 kmsg
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 rw,noatime,errors=continue 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
  Failed to find sysfs mount point
  read_urandom: /dev/urandom: open failed: No such file or directory
  Failed to find sysfs mount point
  read_urandom: /dev/urandom: open failed: No such file or directory
  Failed to find sysfs mount point
  read_urandom: /dev/urandom: open failed: No such file or directory
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
Module                  Size  Used by
virtio_balloon          4416  0
virtio_pci              6621  0
virtio_net             13053  0
virtio_blk              5631  1
virtio_console         14773  0
virtio_rng              2308  0
virtio                  4824  6
virtio_balloon,virtio_pci,virtio_net,virtio_blk,virtio_console,virtio_rng
virtio_ring             5807  6
virtio_balloon,virtio_pci,virtio_net,virtio_blk,virtio_console,virtio_rng
sparse_keymap           4178  0
sym53c8xx              75987  0
scsi_transport_spi     25047  1 sym53c8xx
crc7                    1458  0
crc_ccitt               1707  0
crc32c                  3015  0
crc_itu_t               1747  0
Mon Aug 15 22:12:41 UTC 2011
uptime: 1.76 0.21
verbose daemon enabled
linux commmand line: panic=1 console=ttyS0 udevtimeout=300 noapic acpi=off
printk.time=1 cgroup_disable=memory selinux=0 guestfs_verbose=1 TERM=rxvt

Failed to connect to virtio-serial channel.

Mostly, but there are some modifications.  I think the kernel team just