[Libguestfs] appliance VM won't start, can't find /init, but /init is in the image.

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 14:17:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 06:54:23AM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 08:49:01PM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
> > [..]
> >
> > I forgot to add last night that your problem sounds like missing udev.
> > If you get a process listing (ps ax) is udevd running?  On Ubuntu
> > 11.04 in virt-rescue I get:
> >
> >   43 ?        S<s    0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
> >  367 ?        S<     0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
> >  368 ?        S<     0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
> >

> udevd is definitely there (I see 1 instance, not three).  udevd complains
> about /dev/null being missing, and /dev is pretty empty (there is only a
> kmsg file there).

So I'm assuming /dev exists, and is a directory?

> The other big problem I see right now is that virtio-serial isn't working
> properly (which is the ultimate message I see).  I'm trying to debug that a
> bit by manually starting a simple KVM with the virtio-console flags and
> seeing if that works.

Yeah, one thing about this which I forgot.

guestfsd opens /dev/virtio-ports/org.libguestfs.channel.0, see
http://git.annexia.org/?p=libguestfs.git;a=blob;f=daemon/guestfsd.c;h=eb1e82b4a53b9fc362d9580df6a763b620dbf901;hb=HEAD#l239

This device won't exist unless (1) udev is running and populating /dev
properly -- see above.  And (2) the udev rules exist for
virtio-serial.  It might be that (2) requires an updated version of
udev from a later Ubuntu release.  In Ubuntu 11.04 the rules are in
'/lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules'.