[Libguestfs] libguestfs, porting to FreeBSD

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Aug 19 20:04:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:23:56PM -0700, Jason Helfman wrote:
> I was interested in porting libguestfs to FreeBSD, and see that it
> requires febootstrap, which I believe is specific to RedHat.

febootstrap is nowadays a cross-platform appliance builder which
supports currently yum+rpm (Fedora and RHEL), apt+dpkg (ie. Debian and
Ubuntu), and pacman (ArchLinux).

If you want to use febootstrap to build the appliance, it may be
possible to modify febootstrap to use FreeBSD packages (not ports).
See this page for more information on what is involved:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2011-March/msg00098.html

Also it's a good idea to read the man pages for febootstrap(8) and
febootstrap-supermin-helper(8) online at http://libguestfs.org/

An alternative is that you have your own technology for building a
FreeBSD-based appliance.  All you need to do is to build a small
appliance which contains the daemon (guestfsd) and starts the daemon
on boot.

Another alternative, which is probably not very appealing to you,
would be to prebuild the Fedora appliance and ship that.  There would
of course be licensing conditions around this.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top