[Libguestfs] Trying to use virt-p2v

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Wed Aug 31 19:44:06 UTC 2011

Well, progress but I'm not there yet.

Here are the steps:  On my RHEL6.1 host - I set up a 250 GB logical
volume and put an ext4 filesystem on it and set it up as an NFS share.
I mounted it in the F14 guest, so now I have somewhere to put the stuff
from the F14 guest point of view.  The resulting VM images will end up
as files in a filesystem instead of LVM LVs, but I can live with that.

On the F14 VM, I did yum install rubygem-virt-p2v and yum install
rubygem-virt-p2v-doc.  And now

   man virt-p2v-server

has some text.

On my Windows server, booted from the virt-p2v CD - I connected to the
Fedora VM at IP Address 10.10.10.104 and passed the root credentials.
This time it logged in, but immediately complained there are no profiles
in virt-v2v.conf.

So back to the virt-p2v-server man pages, I inserted these lines near
the bottom:

<profile name='Temp2003'>
  <method>libvirt</method>
  <storage /mnt/EOCHSTemp2003 format='raw'
allocation='sparse'>default</storage>
  <network type='bridge' name='br0'>
  </network>
</profile>

Back to my source server, Connect to the conversion server, and . . . it
hangs.  The mouse cursor moves, but now everything is greyed out, no
files are being created, and the only network traffic is me watching
with iptraf.