[Libguestfs] libguestfs-test-tool say "child process died" on ubuntu 11.10 x64

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Dec 30 09:53:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 09:57:36AM +0800, lzy.dev at gmail.com wrote:
> library version: 1.15.11
[...]
> [17614ms] /usr/bin/kvm \
>     -drive file=/tmp/libguestfs-test-tool-sda-6OA3hT,cache=off,format=raw,if=virtio
> \
>     -nodefconfig \
>     -machine accel=kvm:tcg \
>     -nodefaults \
>     -nographic \
>     -m 500 \
>     -no-reboot \
>     -no-hpet \
>     -device virtio-serial \
>     -serial stdio \
>     -chardev socket,path=/tmp/libguestfsJF88Lr/guestfsd.sock,id=channel0 \
>     -device virtserialport,chardev=channel0,name=org.libguestfs.channel.0 \
>     -kernel /var/tmp/.guestfs-0/kernel.17521 \
>     -initrd /var/tmp/.guestfs-0/initrd.17521 \
>     -append 'panic=1 console=ttyS0 udevtimeout=300 no_timer_check
> acpi=off printk.time=1 cgroup_disable=memory selinux=0
> guestfs_verbose=1 TERM=xterm ' \
>     -drive file=/var/tmp/.guestfs-0/root.17521,snapshot=on,if=virtio,cache=unsafeSupported
> machines are:
> pc         Standard PC (alias of pc-0.14)
> pc-0.14    Standard PC (default)
> pc-0.13    Standard PC
> pc-0.12    Standard PC
> pc-0.11    Standard PC, qemu 0.11
> pc-0.10    Standard PC, qemu 0.10
> isapc      ISA-only PC

This is a bug in qemu 0.15, fixed in qemu 1.0 (although 1.0 introduced
another bug which prevents libguestfs from working out of the box
there too).

If you recompile libguestfs from source then it will detect this qemu
problem at ./configure time and add some code to work around it.
However the binaries on the website weren't compiled this way.

In Fedora we patch around many qemu bugs, so it's worth keeping an eye
on our qemu packages:

  http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=qemu.git

Here is the patch you need to qemu 0.15 which fixes the above bug:

  http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=qemu.git;a=blob;f=qemu-Allow-to-leave-type-on-default-in-machine.patch;h=e4a8e6ddc6ce825517836c8d595c06584c3126f0;hb=refs/heads/f16

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top